Greatness and Humility: A False Paradox?
Themes: Qualities of Character, Faithfulness, Humility, Sustainability in Relationships
- What makes a person great?
- How is greatness defined in these texts? Is there a conversation taking place? What do you notice that you hadn’t before?
- The Mark reading ends with Jesus using the example of welcoming a child as the way to greatness. This week produced a few stories of privileged people using their power to inspire and reward others. Have you had similar experiences? In what ways do you think you could leverage your power for the benefit of others?
- The Proverbs text of the “faithful wife” is a minefield for many, evoking expectations that speak to gender inequality, patriarchy, unexamined privilege and the like. Based on your own experiences, what questions does it raise for you? In an age when we are finally beginning to take note of wage inequality---that women make perhaps 77 cents on the dollar compared to men for the same job, for example, is there any good news in a text like this?
- Whose relationship inspires you? Why? How?
In the News:
The Case of Ahmed Muhamed
Stephen Colbert: His Faith, Islam, and the Pope
Proverbs 31: 10– 31 ● Psalm 1 ● James 3: 13– 4: 3, 7– 8a ● Mark 9: 30– 37
(...for additional consideration):